Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Stash Sunday

I decided that as the author of this blog, I needed to participate in the stash-sharing action!  The banner atop my page is a very early photo of the diapers I was collecting for my son, well over a year ago.  In the past year, my collection of diapers has definitely changed- and grown!  I'm frequently reassessing our diapering needs, and of course I constantly have the temptation to try new diapers and products- so I can write about them, of course.  *wink*

My stash, minus a few in the diaper pail!
Right now I am diapering one baby, my (nearly) 11-month-old son.  We used disposable diapers in the hospital and part of the time until his cord stump fell off at about 2 weeks old.  When he was born he was 6 pounds 2 ounces- a tiny boy.  We found that Lil' Joeys and newborn-sized prefolds and covers were still a bit large, but they did the job.  We transitioned him to his one-size diapers when he was just over one month old- about the same time he reached 7.5 pounds.

Hybrid diapers
My current stash includes roughly 40 diapers and 5 separate covers.  I have additional inserts available for my Flips, both stay-dry and organic.  I also have a few hemp inserts, fleece liners, and stay-dry doublers.  Auxiliary items include an array of wet bags in varying sizes, two pail liners for the dirty diapers, and 48 cloth wipes.  I can do laundry every third day, but when I have the time I wash every other day to keep the diapers from developing strong odors.
Assorted covers
Pocket diapers
When I first started cloth diapering, I was in love with the concept of the hybrid diaper.  I didn't understand why anyone would desire a fitted diaper, and I thought that all-in-ones were too "fancy" for me.  (No, I can't really explain that thought process.  Blame it on pregnancy hormones?)

AIO diapers
Fitted diapers

Today, I have discovered that hybrid diapers can be useful, but they are nowhere near my favorite style.  I like using pocket diapers when I'm at home during the day, as well as all-in-one diapers with organic fabrics.  For night time I think that fitted diapers are awesome, and when we go out I prefer to take Flips with stay-dry inserts because I can fit tons of them in my diaper bag.  On vacation I like to use GroVia shells and BioSoakers.

The biggest thing I've realized is that I greatly prefer natural fabrics.  I'm not a fan of microfiber.  This is largely due to my son's sensitive skin.  I also find that natural fabrics are easier to keep clean and stink-free, while microfiber tends to harbor smells more frequently.  My goal for our next child is to switch out our microfiber inserts for natural inserts, such as the WAHMies bamboo viscose folded insert, or hemp contoured inserts.


Cloth wipes for home and travel; my wipe solution spray bottle; my trusty GroVia Magic stick!

This is how we store our cloth wipes.

Part of my wet bag collection.

Our diaper storage solution.

The diaper pail and liner.

The brands of diapers in my stash include BumGeinus! Elemental and 4.0 pocket; Fishnoodles AIO; Bright Star Baby covers; Tiny Tush OS fitteds; Thirsties fitteds and Duo covers; a Chinese fitted tester; GroVia AIO and hybrid; FuzziBunz OS and perfect size; WAHMies pockets; Rocky Mountain Diapers pockets; Flips stay-dry and organic; Drybees overnight pocket; Royal Bum Diapers cover; and a custom cover from a WAHM friend.  I'm happy with the stash I've collected for my son, but of course I'm constantly looking for new diapers to test out!

1 comment:

  1. Your stash is amazing! Your blog inspires me to stop being lazy and get back into cloth diapering full time!

    ReplyDelete